...a long time ago...about 25 years ago actually I made a lifesize rc R2 out of cardboard, sweat and a lot of tape. It made it through one sf convention before I had to mothball it because of rain the very next day, lol. Now after a long thought process over the years and after visiting so many conventions (last being the celebration III and IV). I decided this is it. I love a challenge, I've love the entire astrodroid concept as well as Star Wars (of course) and face it R2's the real hero. So this is my attempt to recreate a hero to us all R2-D2 as well as a newer hero R2-R9. Fell free to leave comments and tips....Best Regards Thomas
 

Thursday, January 10, 2008

working at a good pace...

So for so good! The frames were complete enough to begin working on the skins. I'm gluing them on with "maxi bond". It's kind of like bondo, takes about 10-12 hours to completely harden but when it does the skins really sit there for good. Your next question is probably...what material is the skin made of. Well thats a little secret until I have all the skins mounted of both artoos'. A little hint is that its not metal nor wood, but very strong ;) This has and will take a few nights to complete so in between the "gluing sessions" I'm testing a radical lighting idea for the front and rear logic lights. I mentioned earlier about thinking out of the box, well this is really a different approach. Also a serect until I bench test. All I can say is that its looking both promissing and inexpensive.

Comments on "working at a good pace..."

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (January 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM) : 

Cant wait to hear your idea! Ive tried a color wheel, alternating LEDS feeding fibreoptics, a scrolling blue led sign randomly feeding fibreoptics...and my next plan is to use a strand of twinkling blue leds (colored for the back) mounted behind lite brite pegs...

I'll be watching!

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (January 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM) : 

you'll just have to wait and see ;)

Thomas

 

post a comment