...a long time ago...about 25 years ago actually I made a lifesize rc R2 out of cardboard, sweat and a lot of tape. It made it through one sf convention before I had to mothball it because of rain the very next day, lol. Now after a long thought process over the years and after visiting so many conventions (last being the celebration III and IV). I decided this is it. I love a challenge, I've love the entire astrodroid concept as well as Star Wars (of course) and face it R2's the real hero. So this is my attempt to recreate a hero to us all R2-D2 as well as a newer hero R2-R9. Fell free to leave comments and tips....Best Regards Thomas
 

Sunday, December 9, 2007


Well, while still waiting for the delivery of some "real" R2 parts I decided to tackle the side feet. I can only say WOW. I have done many things in my life, from spending 4 years in the USAF, moving to another country and learning to speak fluent swedish. But these feet were a challange. The basic shape wasn't to difficult, but man the curve for the feet where the battery box sits was a killer. I must have had to re-cut and re-shape that part about a dozen times. The drawings are nice and "correct" but for some reason it just didn't add up, lol. Any hoot it took me half of friday and all day saturday to get them right. Because silly me wanted to make 2 R2's at the same time you can imagine the time involved. I like the result so all thats left is sanding and filling, while the painting part will come much later. I may begin work on the battery box later on tonight. Anyway I hope the picture is entertaining...lol

Comments on ""

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 10, 2007 at 6:00 AM) : 

Wow....amazing work!! Nice to see you working on them!!! Seems lke a club brochure!!!

I had lots of trouble with my feet (still have to fix them actually).

GREAT WORK!

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 10, 2007 at 7:52 AM) : 

Thanks Jason....still a lot more work to come. I have to work on the detail which is kind of tidious but great "winter" therapy ;-)

Thomas

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 11, 2007 at 6:12 AM) : 

There are a lot to the feet for sure!!!

Probably good to make 2 sets at once..will save time in the end!!!

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 12, 2007 at 12:16 AM) : 

I guess I picked the right title for my blog "astrodroid factory" ;-)

 

post a comment