...a long time ago...about 25 years ago actually I made a lifesize rc R2 out of cardboard, sweat and a lot of tape. It made it through one sf convention before I had to mothball it because of rain the very next day, lol. Now after a long thought process over the years and after visiting so many conventions (last being the celebration III and IV). I decided this is it. I love a challenge, I've love the entire astrodroid concept as well as Star Wars (of course) and face it R2's the real hero. So this is my attempt to recreate a hero to us all R2-D2 as well as a newer hero R2-R9. Fell free to leave comments and tips....Best Regards Thomas
 

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

DOMES!!!!!!


Yes, finally they have arrived!!! Yippy, now I have something I can sink my teeth into. And the price was well within reason (by swedish standards) I'll have to do some very careful measurements in the coming days because there is no place here for mistakes. The place I got these domes is in Stockholm sweden and the preliminary measurements are too close to be true more to come... all I can say is that those guys at Svepo AB (plastics) did a great job!

Comments on "DOMES!!!!!!"

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 13, 2007 at 6:04 AM) : 

Wow...looks great! You going to do a clear dome or paint them??

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 13, 2007 at 10:38 AM) : 

I'm going to paint them at present...but who knows I have alot of bulding left before the paint job ;-)

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 14, 2007 at 5:57 AM) : 

Very cool!!

R2D2's then?

 

Blogger Calvin Thomas said ... (December 14, 2007 at 1:03 PM) : 

Those are nice domes!!!!
What are the measurements on them?
Are they like the Aspect Domes or alittle taller?

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 14, 2007 at 2:25 PM) : 

Thanks Calvin!! They arent Aspect Domes. I got them made at a plastics company close to home and I could stand with them under the forming process, cool. The measurements are amazingly 18.38 in diameter and 9.15 in height. I plan to add an extension for the height. I don't think I can come any closer than that :)

Another bit of great news is that I found a UK company that makes resin and fiberglass parts almost dirt cheap. So, everything is looking up and I could be finished with the main building before the end of spring.

Yes Jason, one will be an R2D2 and the other is looking to be an R2D9 as the blogs banner shows ;-)

SO that you know guys, both your websites including brendas has been the great source for encouragement and for the first time all of this is very doable....Super Thanks!!!!!

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 14, 2007 at 4:40 PM) : 

Haha...yes..there it is in the blog title. I should point out I do my "blogging" first thing in the morning so I'm usually pretty dopey!!

Glad to know our blogs have inspired. Calvin is the blog god!!

 

Blogger Calvin Thomas said ... (December 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM) : 

Are those domes pretty thick?
And if you don't mind me asking how much where they?
Calvin

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 15, 2007 at 9:18 PM) : 

I dont mind you asking at all calvin. We are all in this droid building thing together ;-) The thickness is 3mm (approx. 0,12 inch) and the cost was about 85 dollars plus tax each. And the more you order for the cheaper it gets. Because of the weaker dollar these days that may seem a little pricy but trust me its much cheaper in swedish currency...

Fell free to ask anything in the future. And if these domes are of interest for you, Brenda or anyone else just let me know because my GF will be visiting Jacksonville in 2 months :)

Thomas

 

Blogger Anna said ... (December 16, 2007 at 9:19 AM) : 

You know I could think about several good uses of those domes. No, I'm not going to say "use for yarn-storage". This time I'm more thinking about Christmas food...

Or...

They would be great for the top of som SW astrodroids. ;)

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (December 16, 2007 at 11:13 AM) : 

I see my Domes are in danger of being used for a christmas sallad or something so I better hide them from the GF until after the holidays ;-)

Thomas

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (December 18, 2007 at 6:12 AM) : 

You could serve snacks in them too!

;)

 

post a comment