...a long time ago...about 25 years ago actually I made a lifesize rc R2 out of cardboard, sweat and a lot of tape. It made it through one sf convention before I had to mothball it because of rain the very next day, lol. Now after a long thought process over the years and after visiting so many conventions (last being the celebration III and IV). I decided this is it. I love a challenge, I've love the entire astrodroid concept as well as Star Wars (of course) and face it R2's the real hero. So this is my attempt to recreate a hero to us all R2-D2 as well as a newer hero R2-R9. Fell free to leave comments and tips....Best Regards Thomas
 

Saturday, January 12, 2008

the skins are taking a while but...

Yea, it takes a while to position these things on the frame but I'm having a great time. This is actually fun! Meanwhile I desided to begin preparation for cutting into the dome so I made a dremel cutting guide out of 2 metal handsaw blades mounted on a flexable plastic strip. I did a quick test and it will work like a charm. I'm also using a dremel diamond tip blade. Costs more than the ceramic blades but lasts a lot longer and no risk of dangerous broken projectiles ;)







Comments on "the skins are taking a while but..."

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (January 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM) : 

Nice setup! Good luck with the etching!!!

Jason

 

Blogger Calvin Thomas said ... (January 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM) : 

Are you cutting completely through the dome?
I did 1 like that awhile back and I tell you it was a pain.
You'll need something for the cutouts to lay on.
Calvin

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (January 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM) : 

Thanks Jason

Calvin, I'm kind of up in the air about that but I may cut all the way through on 1 panel for the periscope. However a plastic dome with too many holes is a risk in it self.

Thomas

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (January 14, 2008 at 6:07 AM) : 

You could always just etch for now...then if you decide you need one or 2 or all to open you could easily come back with a dremel and cut through (with s steady hand and a dremel disk).

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (January 14, 2008 at 12:18 PM) : 

True Jason... that is perhaps the best way to go... to start with :)

Thomas

 

post a comment