...a long time ago...about 25 years ago actually I made a lifesize rc R2 out of cardboard, sweat and a lot of tape. It made it through one sf convention before I had to mothball it because of rain the very next day, lol. Now after a long thought process over the years and after visiting so many conventions (last being the celebration III and IV). I decided this is it. I love a challenge, I've love the entire astrodroid concept as well as Star Wars (of course) and face it R2's the real hero. So this is my attempt to recreate a hero to us all R2-D2 as well as a newer hero R2-R9. Fell free to leave comments and tips....Best Regards Thomas
 

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Plexiglass-man strikes again...

The glue that I use for my frame and skin is on back order until friday. I guess everyone has a use for it, lol. Anyway, I thought I'd do some minor building this weekend because I have to soon prepare for my trip to the states. So I was testing 3 million and 1 ways to make that "hole" board for front and rear logic displays. I tried single-layered cardboard, double-layered cardboard, different types of wood but in the end... remember all of that plexiglass I have lying around...well. I desided to give it a try and wow. I printed out the hole setup on thick paper then using the paper as a template I carefully drilled the holes through both paper and plexiglass. Yepp, dremel has 101 uses as well. I think the results look pretty good. All I have to do is paint them. The r2builders club already has a styroman, so I guess you guys will be calling me "plexiglass-man", lol. Everyday, I discover lots of uses for this stuff in my artoo build. I'm even considering making my legs out of a wooden frame but with a plexiglass shell ;)

Comments on "Plexiglass-man strikes again..."

 

Blogger SuperDad said ... (January 22, 2008 at 6:01 AM) : 

Make it all clear!!!!!!! Clear r2 with all the mechanics showing would be cool!

Seriously tho..good work!!!!

Jason

 

Blogger The life of thomas said ... (January 22, 2008 at 9:17 AM) : 

Thanks Jason! The clear shell could work but might ruin the mystique about artoo also it would be hard to keep it from getting scratched

Thomas

 

post a comment